• 3 tablespoons butter, divided
• 4 medium carrots, chopped
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
• 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushroom
• 2 cans (5 ounces each) albacore white tuna in water, drained and flaked
• 2 cups fresh baby spinach
• 1 cup frozen peas
• 3 cups uncooked spiral pasta
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
• 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper Directions
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, red pepper and mushrooms. Cook and stir until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add tuna, spinach and peas; cook until spinach is just wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water. In a large bowl, place pasta and tuna mixture; toss to combine. Wipe skillet clean.
- In the same skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in broth and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes, adding reserved pasta water if needed. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over pasta; toss to coat.
1-3/4 cups: 372 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 767mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.